In the midst of its Earth Day celebrations, our local Whole Foods put up a table overflowing with green beans outside its sliding glass doors. Above the crates full of crispy greens, there were stacks of white paper buckets and a sign that read, “Fill the bucket for $2.” It was such a good deal that we obviously took advantage, but then we realized we had no idea what to do with a bucket full of green beans. Steam them? Boring. Boil them? Gross. They just looked so beautiful and so fresh that we couldn’t pass them up.
I love green beans. They’re one of the only vegetables I would consistently eat growing up (prior to going vegetarian and then vegan) and honestly, I could eat raw, fresh green beans by the handful. Knowing that most people, including my partner, probably wouldn’t be down for that, I wondered if it would be possible to turn green beans into something savory, spicy, and with the perfect amount of crunch.
Since I didn’t want to steam or boil the green beans and plop them, flavorless, onto plates, I opted to coat them in spices and then bake them until they resembled french fries. Of course, green beans don’t crisp up in quite the same way as potatoes — but this recipe gives them a nice crispy, crunchy coating that will leave you craving them for days.
Crispy Green Bean Fries
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 30 minutes
Makes multiple servings
What you’ll need:
- green beans, trimmed and washed
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3-4 tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper
What you’ll do:
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Put olive oil, 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast flakes, garlic, chili powder, salt, and lemon pepper in a medium bowl. Toss green beans in mixture until they are thoroughly coated.
- Spread green beans in a single layer over a baking sheet. Sprinkle remaining nutritional yeast flakes over green beans (this will add the “crispy crunchies” that make them so tasty!). Put in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove green beans from oven, turn, and return to the oven. Increase heat to 500° and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve as a side dish to your favorite sandwich or wrap (we had them with homemade falafel wraps and falafel sliders) and enjoy!