All summer, I’ve been experimenting with lemon in dishes ranging from roasted potatoes to stir fry. The sharp, citrus tang of lemon is unparalleled (except maybe by lime, but that’s neither here nor there). It offers an amazing boost of flavor to pretty much anything, savory or sweet, and it’s super easy to add to any recipe for that extra kick.
I’ve discovered that one of the easiest ways to add lemon to savory dishes — including kale salad, crispy tofu, fried rice, roasted potatoes, and zucchini pasta, to name a few — is to whip up a batch of the homemade dressing I first made a few months ago by throwing together some spices in my pantry and hoping for the best.
This dressing has a sharp, tangy flavor to it that will make your mouth water. It’s become one of my favorite toppings and my partner requests it regularly, to the point that we now have to buy full bags of lemons almost every week so that we always have some on hand for when we want lemon dressing on our meals.
I’ve tried making batches of this dressing to last for a while, but we end up going through it in just days. It’s just so good. I often end up making single or double servings for individual meals in order to keep us from just dousing everything in this dressing. When we have it around, it ends up in every dish. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but mouth sores from too much citrus are very real and very painful, so limiting our intake a little is probably a good idea.
The proportions for this recipe vary a little depending on the size of the lemons and whether you’re making a jar or just a serving of dressing. You may have to adjust accordingly. Ideally, you just want the flavors to marry in way that’s appetizing to you. For us, that means lots of lemon for a ton of zest. For you, that might mean a little more oil to temper the tang. Regardless, everything you need to make this incredible condiment can be found in the recipe below.
Zesty Lemon, Garlic and Dill Dressing
Prep time: 10 minutes | Total time: 10 minutes
Makes about one jar
What you’ll need:
- 3 large lemons
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp. dill seeds
- 3-5 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
What you’ll do:
- QUICK METHOD: Juice the lemons (preferably by hand, to get every last bit of delicious lemony goodness). Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend for 1 minute. Serve and enjoy!
- SLIGHTLY SLOWER METHOD: Juice the lemons (preferably by hand, to get every last bit of delicious lemony goodness). Mince the garlic. Add all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk rapidly for 2-3 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- Store extra dressing in an air-tight container in the refrigerator. It will stay good for 1-2 weeks (if you can hold onto it for that long)!